links / affiliations
LECTURING AND TEACHING—INTERNATIONAL
Faculty, Legal Writing for the World Trade Organization's Legal Affairs Division and Rules Division—Geneva, Switzerland.
Taught writing to the drafters of the WTO's decisions and rules. 2017
Faculty, USAID Ukraine Rule of Law Project, Judicial Writing Seminars—Kyiv, Odesa, Ukraine.
Taught opinion writing to trial and appellate judges of Ukraine. 2008-09
Faculty, Pacific Islands Legal Institute (PILI)—Pohnpei, FSM.
Taught writing, standards of review and statutory construction to judges from the Federated States of Micronesia and American Samoa. 2006
Faculty, Afghan International Comparative Appeals Systems Summit—Prague, Czech Republic. As part of a multinational team, met with the Supreme Court of Afghanistan and other Afghan judges and administrators to assist in the reconstruction of the Afghan judicial system. 2005
Faculty, Pacific Judicial Council Conference—Hagatna, Guam.Taught opinion writing and structure to the justices and judges of American Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, Yap, Chuuk, Pohnpei, and Kosrae. 2003
Faculty, Seminar on Judicial Skills Development, East Asian Legal Studies Center, Madison, WI. Taught opinion structure to judges from Shanghai, China. 2002, 2003
Faculty, Seminar on Judicial Writing—Kingston, Jamaica. Taught judicial writing and opinion structure to the Supreme Court of Jamaica. 2000
Faculty, Russia Commercial Court Workshop—Moscow, St. Petersburg. Russian-American Judicial Partnership. Taught opinion structure to justices and judges of the Commercial Court of the Russian Federation. 1999
LECTURING AND TEACHING—
NATIONAL AND LOCAL
NJC Distinguished Professor, The National Judicial College, Reno, NV. Teaching judicial writing in courses for appellate, trial, and administrative law judges. 2015 to present
Adjunct Professor of Law, Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI. Taught “Legal Reasoning, Research and Writing,” “Appellate Law and Procedure,” “Appellate Advocacy,” “Advanced Brief Writing” and “Advanced Legal Writing.” 1988 to 2009
Faculty, National Judicial College, Reno, NV. Taught judicial writing in courses for appellate, trial, and administrative law judges. 1994 to 2014
Faculty, National Tribal Judicial Center, Reno, NV. Teaching judicial writing in courses for tribal appellate and trial judges. 2002 to present
Faculty of the Following State Judicial Colleges and Conferences: Arizona, California, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Wisconsin.
Lecturer in English, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Taught composition courses. 1973, 1977
Instructor in English, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI.
Taught basic writing courses and American Literature. 1975-1976
Presenter on Judicial and Legal Writing:
- ABA Appellate Judges Seminar Series, Coeur d’Alene, ID; Newport Beach, CA; Park City, UT; Phoenix, AZ; San Antonio, TX; St. Simons Island, GA; Sun Valley, ID; Williamsburg, VA
United States Court of Veterans Appeals, Washington D.C.
- Appellate Military Judges Training Seminar, Washington D.C.
- U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Immigration Appeals, Columbia, S.C.
- U.S. Dept. of Justice, Immigration Judges’ Conference, Anaheim, CA
- U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, National Appeals Division, Reno, NV
- U.S. Dept. of Labor, Hearing Techniques for ALJ’s, Reno NV
- U.S. Dept. of Education—Civil Rights Division, Boston, MA; Chicago, IL; Cleveland, OH; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO; Kansas City, MO; Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Washington, D.C.
- Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission, Washington, D.C.
- Four-State Judicial Conference (SD, ND, MT, ID), Rapid City, S.D.
- Tri-State Appellate Court Conference (WI, MN, IA), Decorah, IA
- California Continuing Judicial Studies Program, San Diego, CA
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals Seminar, Washington, D.C.
- South Carolina Appellate Court Bench/Bar, Columbia, S.C.
- Washington Appellate Judges Conference, Blaine, WA
- South Dakota Judges’ In-State Training Conference, Pierre, S.D.
- National American Indian Court Judges Association Conference, WI
- Stockbridge-Munsee Community Tribal Court, Black River Falls, WI
- Conference, National Ass’n of ALJs, Minneapolis, MN
- New York State Division of Human Rights, New York, NY
- Judges' Forum, Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals, Seattle, WA
Presenter on Legal Writing:
- California District Attorney's Association, Palm Springs, CA
- National Association of Securities Dealers—Regulatory, Washington, D.C.
- Alaska Academy of Trial Lawyers, Anchorage, AK
- Michael Best & Friedrich, LLP, Milwaukee, WI
- Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek, S.C., Milwaukee, WI
- Krukowski & Costello, S.C., Milwaukee, WI
- von Briesen, Purtell & Roper, S.C., Milwaukee, WI
- Baker & Hostetler, Columbus, OH
- Numerous Wisconsin CLE presentations
EMPLOYMENT AND OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
District Staff Attorney, Wisconsin Court of Appeals,
District II, Waukesha, WI.
Opinion drafting, editing and research. Administered expedited appeals program for district. Taught writing program to incoming law clerks for court. Revisor of Court of Appeals Style Manual. 1984 to 2008
Charles Alan Wright Memorial Lecturer. Delivered first lecture in the series to the Supreme Court of Texas and the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. Austin, TX, 2001
Faculty Council, National Judicial College, 2006 to 2012
2011 Leader in the Law, Wisconsin Law Journal
2011 V. Robert Payant Award for Teaching Excellence
Juris Doctor degree, 1981
Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI
Full Ph.D. course work, language requirements, etc., 1974-75
Eighteenth Century British Literature and Rhetoric
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Master of Arts degree in English, 1973
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Bachelor of Arts degree in English, 1972, magna cum laude
Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
Danforth Fellow, Class of 1972; Phi Beta Kappa, 1971
Handbook of Judicial Opinion Writing, Academy of Judges of Ukraine (with Judge Neal Nettesheim, (Ret.))
Co-Author, ABA Judicial Opinion Writing Manual (West, 1991)
Standards of Review—Looking Beyond The Labels, 74 Marq. L. Rev. 231 (1991)